Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. August 25, 2019, 05:20:43 EET 
Home | Help | Search | Calendar | Login | Register

+  VETURI Guildhouse.net's Message boards
|-+  The History: mostly inactive
| |-+  EverQuest Talk (Moderator: Tirrimuna)
| | |-+  Computer clinic thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Computer clinic thread  (Read 3825 times)
Lahna
author

I'm a llama!

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2002, 17:21:12 »

Defragging at least didnt help. I know that it is supposed to take a long time but is 12 hours normal? It went back to 0% many times because 'the content of hard drive has changed' and i definitely was not doing anything.
Added: my hard drive is 30G and it was previously defragged about 2 years ago

Also I have noticed mucho weirdness in trying to boot this computer. Even if i just turn my computer on, let windows load and immediatly restart windows from the start menu my whole comp shuts down and never restarts. Likewise sometimes when I then unplug my computer and try to boot, the boot routine is interrupted in various stages for various reasons. Few times it has said that himem.sys is missing, allthough it definitely is not. Sometimes it gets to the desktop but some program it tries to load is not answering and then I have an empty background with no applications running nor the toolbar on the bottom or anything.

-Lahna
Castaa
novelist

I came. I saw. I evac'ed.

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2002, 20:45:27 »

Defragging at least didnt help. I know that it is supposed to take a long time but is 12 hours normal? It went back to 0% many times because 'the content of hard drive has changed' and i definitely was not doing anything.
Added: my hard drive is 30G and it was previously defragged about 2 years ago

Also I have noticed mucho weirdness in trying to boot this computer. Even if i just turn my computer on, let windows load and immediatly restart windows from the start menu my whole comp shuts down and never restarts. Likewise sometimes when I then unplug my computer and try to boot, the boot routine is interrupted in various stages for various reasons. Few times it has said that himem.sys is missing, allthough it definitely is not. Sometimes it gets to the desktop but some program it tries to load is not answering and then I have an empty background with no applications running nor the toolbar on the bottom or anything.

The first part is common.  A screen saver or virus protection software can do that.  Even windows update can cause this problem.  Make sure you turn off your screen saver and all system tray programs you can before running a defrag.

The second part is very concerning.  Sounds like a bad motherboard and/or hard drive.  These things can drive you up the wall.  I'd immediately back up all valuable information (including your EQ .ini config files) to a CD-ROM or another hard drive.

Is buying a cheap new computer an option?  That's what I would do since the computer is already a couple of years old.

|  Castaa  |  65 - Wizard  |  Vibria  |  48 - Bard  |
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length