Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. November 15, 2019, 10:30:17 EET 
Home | Help | Search | Calendar | Login | Register

+  VETURI Guildhouse.net's Message boards
|-+  The History: mostly inactive
| |-+  EverQuest Talk (Moderator: Tirrimuna)
| | |-+  Computer clinic thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Computer clinic thread  (Read 4013 times)
Lahna
author

I'm a llama!

« on: November 11, 2002, 22:51:19 »

Patient: 750mhz duron, win 98, geforce 2 mx/400

Works fine on desktop, explorer, excel and word.

Symptoms: Completely crashes in between 0 and 20 minutes after starting some game. Screen freezes, sounds go to a loop and I have to unplug the whole computer just to reboot. Simply pressing reboot button makes the screen go blank and then monitor goes to standby mode and then nothing.

Symptoms appeared about a week ago seemingly out from nowhere.

Diagnosis: ?

I have tried the following: Opened computer and checked that all cards and cables were connected, virus check, reinstalled graphics card drivers, called my comp a piece of shit, and reinstalled direct x drivers.

Any help would be appreciated and also feel free to use this thread for computer related questions of your own.

-Lahna
Castaa
novelist

I came. I saw. I evac'ed.

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2002, 23:57:24 »

Are you using texture caching?  If so delete your texture cache files (*.txc or some extention like that) or turn it off.  The game has been crashing on me as well and seems to fix the problem.  But I have to do it a few times since PoP was released.   /shrug

|  Castaa  |  65 - Wizard  |  Vibria  |  48 - Bard  |
Lahna
author

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2002, 00:02:39 »

I dont know if I am, but I meant that my computer crashes whenever I start any game.

-Lahna
Canardian
writer of chronicles

Fire Mage

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2002, 00:41:36 »

Buy AMIGA 500! PCs suck..

-LOTRO - Vigg - 16 Dwarf Guardian, EVE - Imperaattori - Raven / Lvl 4 mis, WoW - Lumooja - 70 UD Mage (Fire Spec), WoW - Hoitsu 42 UD Priest (Holy Spec), Saalistaja - 30 Orc Hunter (Beast Spec), EQ - Lumooja - 70 Enc, EQ - Papitar - 56 Clr, EQ2 - Lumooja - 20 Wiz, SWG - Lumooja - Bounty Hunter, AO - Robotti - 86 Eng, AO - Hoitsu - 110 Doctor, DAoC - Lumooja - 12 RM
Lahna
author

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2002, 00:47:34 »

I think the problem might be related to something called DDhelp which I googled for and found out its somekind of a direct x support program. No clue how to go about fixing something like that considering that I have already tried reinstalling direct x. I vaguely remember something about how theres some significance in the order in which you re-/install direct x and graphics card drivers but i dunno :/

-Lahna
« Last Edit: November 12, 2002, 00:50:39 by Lahna » Logged
Castaa
novelist

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2002, 02:37:19 »

Have you tired reinstalling EQ?  Unstall all of EQ.
Try just running the game using the first EQ disk (don't install the expansions) as a test.  (make sure Lahna is logged in an old world zone because you can't load him if he isn't.

I had a problem with EQ a couple of years ago because my computer was overclocked.  The OS was stable but EQ would dump to the desktop regularly.

How much memory do you have?  You are running out of disk space (virtual memory)?  I did my own tests and with everything turned on, EQ uses over 500 MB of memory now.  Shocked

The failing for the reboot button to work properly makes me wonder if you problem is directly hardware related.  I know of no crash beside of overheating that would cause this problem.

Castaa
novelist

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2002, 02:42:02 »

Also I'd try running a CPU stress test program for a few hours and see if that'll make your computer hang.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/cpuburn/

Edit:
Now that I think about it, I wonder if your problem is video card hardware problem.  If your card is over heating or having problems, it would result in your Motherboard failing to post after a hardware reset.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2002, 03:19:20 by Castaa » Logged

Welyathan
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2002, 03:38:14 »

Assuming you dont have virus protection or autoupdates or some indexing programs running on background while you play. If you do, disable them while you play or change their setting to be run manually only.

1. I would reinstall operation system at that point. If you can not do that for some reason, then try the following. Im assuming that the first thing you have already done is new video and sound drivers.

2. Defrag your harddrive. Run emergency repair for the OS...if win98 had that, cant remember if it did. You can check this by setting from your BIOS the primary boot device to be whatever you have win98 on, CD most probably. Boot the machine with the win98 CD and you will see if it gives you a repair option in menu.

Get latest Direct X, which atleast for my OS is direct x 8.1 b runtime (my compu runs EQ after I installed this, didnt work with direct x 8.1 runtime). From MS website: 8.1 b runtime fixes several 3D problems with previous release of direct x...Now, yes there is difference. Install the DX 8.1 b, and AFTER that video drivers. Even if you just installed video drivers, you need to always reinstall them after installing direct x.

3. If you did the part 2. and it didnt help, then there is the long way.
- make boot disk if you dont have one already. Get the latest drivers ready to your second harddrive, if you got one and copy all the crap from C: to that HDD you want to keep

- get latest BIOS available for your MB and install it. Use your motherboard manual when you do this, as you probably need to clean the CMOS with jumper after installing and unplugging the compus power cord before starting with new version of BIOS. Setup the BIOS.

- install operating system. Im assuming you do not have over 512 mb ram. If you do, win 98 wont work, it supports max 512 mb. Otherwise IMO win98 is the best OS for gaming as they have had time to fix bugs by now.

- install possible motherboard drivers

- install direct x

- if you have motherboard with VIA chip using 4in1 drivers install them

- install video drivers

- install monitor drivers if yours have something else than generic

- install sound drivers

- run couple 3d games and see if they work ok

- install network interface card drivers and setup your internet connection

- install what ever online game your playing and have fun

Also once you get the machine to run again, defrag your harddrive regularly. Downloads fragment the drive like mad and it becomes slower and can cause program failures.

If nothing above worked, loan video card from some friend and try if the fault is there. Harddrive is next most possible spot to have something broken. They dont have infinite lifetime and sometimes new HDD can be made on monday too. Never got enough HDD space anyway so buy a new HDD next.

Wely
natraz
WoW Officer
writer of chronicles

Vittuuks täs!

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2002, 09:25:20 »

Your computer is overheating. at least all your problems point to that. when prosessor overheats it automatically hangs up to save prosessor.

Natraz 69 Mage AE jyrä specci Ravencrest
Zartan 70 Priest Holy/Disc
-Genuine leather - Genuiinin nahkaa -
Sex is only thing, where satisfying is better grade than excellent
Welyathan
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2002, 12:46:30 »

Overheating is possible although very unlikely reason in older computer. Doesnt hurt to check though if the fan on top of processor is working at all. Overheating is more of a pentium/celeron problem than AMD. Duron processors die temperature is 90 celcius. If the processor is overheating, you can use it to frie your eggs.

Wely
Welyathan
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2002, 12:51:16 »

One more thing that came into my mind. Check from BIOS to what temperature the hang up is set to be done. Its possible some pentium user has set up your system and it hangs up at 41 c or something. I use 70 celcius for my AMD to be on safe side. Normal running temperature under no stress is around 40-45 c.

Wely
Welyathan
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2002, 13:00:06 »

Oh well, it runs upto 20 minutes, the fan must work then or it would never run 20 minutes.

Wely
Lahna
author

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2002, 16:41:52 »

Thanks for the tips Welyathan. I will try defragging and after that I'll check the operating system emergency repair thing and if that doesnt help I'll try reinstalling win 98. I agree that it is not overheating.

-Lahna
Castaa
novelist

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2002, 19:33:15 »

"Simply pressing reboot button makes the screen go blank and then monitor goes to standby mode and then nothing."

This is the key bit of information.  I am 99% certain this has nothing to do with your OS or hard drive.  This to me says bad video card (or mother board).  Parts just go bad out of the blue.  I had a old video card go bad in my Linux box just last month.  I'd go to the store (that takes returns) and buy a new 3D card.  If it doesn't fix your problem then at least you can return the card.

Lahna
author

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2002, 21:41:05 »

I myself have faintly suspected there is something wrong with my videocard, it has never really worked well and I have had lots of other problems with it. Been a busy day, Ill try defragging and reinstalling windows when I have time and after that im at least going to test if using another graphics card would make the problems disappear.

-Lahna
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length